Your anniversary is a special time that you celebrate with your spouse, commemorating yet another year of happy marriage. Although there are particular gifts that are usually given in the traditional style, you have several modern options available to you as well.
Years One Through Five
During this stage, you are still in the honeymoon phase of your relationship, so you’ll want to make sure that each anniversary is extra special. Whether you prefer the traditional or modern style, try to make each year a bit more meaningful than the last.
- 1st – Paper is the traditional gift for the first anniversary, which could include things like custom stationery or a beautiful paper lantern for your home. On the modern side, gifts include clocks, plastic or gold jewelry.
- 2nd – Traditional gifts for this year are made from cotton, giving you a wide range of options to choose from, including clothing, bedding and home decor. Modern gifts include China, calico and garnet.
- 3rd – Leather is the traditional gift for this year, while modern gifts tend towards crystal, glass and pearls.
- 4th – Traditionalists will give fruit or flowers for the fourth anniversary. Modernists choose home appliances, linen, silk, nylon or blue topaz.
- 5th – Wood is traditional for the fifth year. Modern couples favor silverware or sapphire.
Years Six Through Ten
By now, you and your spouse should have settled into a comfortable rhythm of being together and may even have some little ones running around. However, that is no excuse to let romance fall by the wayside. Each anniversary is still just as important, so take the time to celebrate your union.
- 6th – Traditional gifts include sugar and iron. On the modern side, couples prefer wood, candy or amethyst.
- 7th – Seventh-anniversary gifts include wool and copper for traditionalists. Brass, desk sets and onyx satisfy modern couples.
- 8th – Bronze and pottery make great classic gifts for the eighth anniversary. Those who favor the contemporary should give appliances, linen, lace or tourmaline jewelry.
- 9th – The ninth anniversary generates pottery and willow for traditional couples and leather and lapis jewelry for modern couples.
- 10th – This year often sees classic gifts of tin and aluminum. Those on the contemporary side receive diamond jewelry.
Going forward, you want each successive year to be more and more special for you and your spouse. After all, you have bound yourselves together for eternity, so you want to celebrate your commitment. Here at Worthington Jewelers, we will be glad to help you choose the most appropriate gift for your partner in life, whether it is your first anniversary or your 50th. Bob, Theresa and our team of jewelry experts can help guide you in choosing the piece that is best suited to your spouse’s personality and taste. Stop by our shop today to see for yourself.